Instant film photography is experiencing a revival, thanks to its affordability, versatility, and overall charm. It’s inexpensive to get started with an instant film camera, and even better, it’s easy to find the cheap instant film. This means you can take as many pictures as you want, without worrying about running out of the film.
We researched dozens of instant film cameras, evaluating them on ease of use, photo quality, and value. Our top pick is the Fuji Instax Mini 90, which produces high-quality instant photos, has a built-in flash, and is compatible with a wide range of Instax films.
Here are the best instant film cameras available online.
Best Instant Film Cameras: Editor Recommended
Our Editor’s Best Instant Film Cameras Reviews
- 20 Sheets Instant Film Compatible With The Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 Instant Camera & The Full Line Of The Fujifilm Instax Cameras Mini 8, Mini 90, Mini 70, Mini 50S, Mini 25, Mini Hello Kitty, And The Polaroid Pic 300 Instant Film Cameras
- Quality This Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Films Are Hi-Speed Iso 800 - With Superb Grain Quality, Instax Mini Film Ensure Vibrant Color And Natural Skin Tones
- Its Your Moment This Films Are Credit-Card Size - 5.4 X 8.6 Cm (Film Size) - The Unique Credit-Card Sized Film Is Easy To Carry In Your Purse Or Wallet And Has That Classic White Frame That You Can Leave Blank Or Personalize With Fun Messages
- Develops Instantly Capture Your Moments And Enjoy The Picture Right Away. All You Do Is, Press The Shutter, Capture The Moment, And Watch The Photo Slide Out And The Image Develop In Front Of Your Eyes
- Classic, deluxe design with premium silver accents
- Built-in automatic exposure for ideal pictures every time
- Built-in one-touch selfie mode and selfie mirror
- Uses INSTAX MINI instant film only; produces instant print, credit card sized 2” x 3” photos
- Package includes: INSTAX MINI 40 instant camera, hand strap, user manual, 2 AA batteries
- NOW + FILM BUNDLE BOX: Polaroid's new point-and-shoot analog instant camera has all you need to catch every life moment in an original Polaroid photograph.
- NEW & IMPROVED: Now with autofocus, it’s simple to capture moments as you see them, so you can relive them forever in sharp, vivid color.
- DOUBLE EXPOSURE: Frame two moments in one with double exposure, or get yourself in the picture with self-timer and an accurate flash to make everyone look like they should.
- COLORFUL FUN: Now is available in the 7 colors of the iconic Polaroid spectrum.
- POINT. SHOOT. KEEP FOREVER: Now is compatible with both i-Type and 600 film.
- INSTAX COMPATIBILITY: Use our film with your Fujifilm Inst Mini cameras including the Mini 12, Mini 11, Mini 9, Mini 8, Mini 90, Mini 70, Mini 40, Mini Hello Kitty, Polaroid PIC 300 and other Instant Film Cameras!
- PREMIUM QUALITY: These Inst films are Hi-Speed ISO 800 so you can be sure they will capture your shots in the best light, giving you beautiful, natural looking colors with awesome grain quality.
- CLEAR PHOTOS IN AN INSTANT: Snap a picture and immediately get a high res photo printed in seconds with your Fujifilm camera – photos are high quality with optimal grain quality.
- MINI WALLET SIZED: Our white film sheets provide you with credit card sized photos (5.4 x 8.6 cm) for you to carry precious memories with you anywhere right in your bag or pocket!
- PHOTOS THAT WILL LAST A LIFETIME: Using thin-film technology, images develop quicker! Using emulsion, development accelerators and control tech, your photos will last forever.
- Automatically detects the brightness of the surrounding and adjusts the amount of flash and shutter speed to optimize photo quality; Lens: F=60 millimeter, F=12.7
- Double exposure mode 2 images are produced on 1 film sheet by pressing the shutter twice, automatic film feeding out
- Bulb mode the shutter remains open while the shutter button is depressed (10 seconds maximum) and a light trail can be photographed
- Macro mode short distance photography as close as 30 - 60 centimeter; Film size: 86 millimeter x 54 millimeter; Picture size: 62 millimeter x 46 millimeter
- Kids mode suitable for photographing kids, pets and other fast moving subjects due to a fast shutter speed
- Compact and cute design. Easily twist the lens to turn on and off
- Built-in selfie mirror for easy selfies Close-up mode with parallax correction
- Features automatic exposure and flash control for bright photos that are not “washed-out”
- Prints out high-quality, 2” x 3” INSTAX MINI instant photos in approximately five seconds (Development time thereafter is approximately 90 seconds). Uses INSTAX MINI instant film, which is sold separately.
- Includes: Hand strap, user manual, (2) AA batteries and 1-year limited warranty
- Updated Classic- The classic Polaroid film is back with a new formula exclusively for I-Type cameras with 40 classic iconic white framed photos.
- New Classic- I-Type film uses Polaroid's latest chemistry to provide richer colors, tones, and contrast. I-Type film is not compatible with vintage Polaroid cameras.
- Light it up- Polaroid instant film loves light. The more light in your shot, the better your photo will turn out. Always shoot in bright light or use the camera flash.
- Develop- Photos will appear blank at first. Photos develop within 15 minutes. Shield photos from the light and place them face down as they develop.
- Create- Every photo you create is rich, textured, and unique. Unpredictable, imperfect, and impossible to reproduce, just like you.
- Automatic extending 95 millimeter f14 lens with two focus zones (0.9 to 3 meter and 3 meter to infinity)
- Optical viewfinder. Tri-pod socket. Four size AA 1.5 V alkaline batteries (Best with Polaroid AA batteries). Dimensions- (not including protrusions) 6.6 x 3.7 x 4.7 inches
- Picture size 62 millimeter × 99 millimeter, close-up lens for shots up to 40 centimeter from the subject. Shutter release- Programmed electronic shutter release, 1/64 sec - 1/200 sec. Power supply- Four size AA 1.5 V alkaline batteries (LR6), capacity - 10 film packs (Based on our test conditions)
- Light and dark control to help add high and low-key effects in the picture. Fill-in flash by flash-on button
- Works with Fujifilm Instax Wide Film only - ISO800. Film size: 3.38 x 4.25(inches), picture size: 2.44 x 3.9 (inches)
- ALL-IN-ONE PHOTOGRAPHY - The PRINTOMATIC Camera offers a combination of a powerful 5MP sensor with a wide angle f/2 lens that instantly prints vibrant photos.
- FAST EASY AND FUN – This Point and Shoot the camera speed allows you to shoot a new photo while printing the previous shot. It also comes equipped with a light sensor that will automatically turn on the flash in low-light settings
- ONE STOP PRINTING - The Kodak Printomatic camera instantly prints 2x3” photos. The camera uses Kodak Zink Photo Paper, so no ink cartridges, toners or film are needed. The photo prints are durable, water-resistant, tear resistant and smudge free
- CHARMING DESIGN – Comes in Variety of Fun, Bold Colors. Compact design Slips neatly into your shirt pocket. Make it easy to carry around as you go about your day, ensuring you always have Your Printomatic with you
- INSTANT VALUE - Kodak Printomatic Camera is an easy-to-use product. Saves photos to a MicroSD card.USB Cable & Charger are not Included.
- Slim body size with transparent ring lens
- Automatic exposure - The Mini 11 automatically selects the optimal shutter speed in any environment. Mini 11 captures bright backgrounds and bright subjects, even in dark scenes.
- 1-touch selfie mode - The Mini 11 has a built-in macro mode and a selfie mirror for the perfect selfie. You don’t need a close-up lens attachment. Just pull out the lens barrel until the “Selfie Mode” mark appears
- Customize your camera - 2 shutter button accessories are included - Jewel button and a glow button.
- 2 - AA batteries
Best Instant Film Cameras Buying Guide
Before choosing the best instant film camera you should consider following options:
1. Image Quality: This may be the most important aspect when it comes to choosing a film camera. It is important to understand that film cameras don’t offer the same image quality that digital cameras do.
With that being said, film cameras are the closest thing to capturing a digital image when it comes to quality. You have the option to shoot in either black and white or color.
The film type you choose will depend on your intended use. For instance, if you intend to take a lot of portraits then you should probably stick with black and white film.
On the other hand, if you plan on taking pictures of landscapes, then color film is the way to go.
2. Lens: All instant cameras come standard with a built-in wide-angle lens.
This lens is perfect for capturing group shots or even self-portraits. You also have the option to purchase an additional telephoto lens to get a more detailed shot.
3. Flash: Many of the camera models will come standard with a flash. If it doesn’t come standard, you can purchase an add-on flash to get the job done.
The built-in flash will give you the ability to take a picture in any lighting condition. The add-on flash will allow you to capture a picture in a darker setting.
4. Film Cost: Film is the one expense that you don’t want to overlook when it comes to instant film cameras.
You can purchase the film in either a pack or a single shot variety. The film will vary in price depending on the type of film and the intended use.
For instance, if you are shooting in black and white, then you can get a 400 shot roll of film for around $15. If you are shooting in color, you can get a single shot for around $2.
5. Camera Design: Instant film cameras come in all sorts of different designs. You can find a camera that resembles a vintage Polaroid or you can get a camera that looks like a DSLR.
The camera you choose will ultimately depend on your intended use. If you want a camera that can double as a digital camera, then you should probably stick with a camera that looks more like a digital one.
What else you should know about the best instant film cameras
1. What are the best instant film cameras?
The best instant film cameras include the Fujifilm Instax Mini 9, the Fujifilm Instax Mini 70, the Lomo’Instant Automat, and the Polaroid Originals OneStep 2.
2. What are the features of a good instant film camera?
Some features of a good instant film camera are that it should be lightweight and portable, it should have a timer, and it should have a flash.
3. How do instant film cameras work?
The instant film cameras work by using a chemical process to produce the image. The film is exposed to light and then the chemicals are used to develop the image.
4. What are the benefits of using an instant film camera?
There are several benefits of using an instant film camera:
1. They are fun and easy to use – perfect for snapshot photography.
2. They produce unique, one-of-a-kind images that cannot be replicated with digital or traditional film cameras.
3. They are portable and lightweight, making them ideal for traveling.
4. They are relatively inexpensive, making them a great option for those on a budget.
5. What are some of the best instant film cameras on the market?
Some of the best instant film cameras on the market are the Fujifilm Instax Mini 9, the Lomography Lomo’Instant Automat, and the Polaroid Originals OneStep 2.
On the market, there are numerous best instant film cameras. Hopefully, the list of the top ten best instant film cameras will save you time researching and deciding on the best one for you.