Instant film photography is experiencing a revival, thanks to its affordability, versatility, and overall charm. It’s inexpensive to get started with an instant film camera, and even better, it’s easy to find the cheap instant film. This means you can take as many pictures as you want, without worrying about running out of the film.
We researched dozens of instant film cameras, evaluating them on ease of use, photo quality, and value. Our top pick is the Fuji Instax Mini 90, which produces high-quality instant photos, has a built-in flash, and is compatible with a wide range of Instax films.
Here are the best instant film cameras available online.
Best Instant Film Cameras: Editor Recommended
Our Editor’s Best Instant Film Cameras Reviews
- INSTAX COMPATIBILITY: Use our film with your Fujifilm Instax Mini cameras including the Mini 12, Mini 11, Mini 9, Mini 8, Mini 7+, Mini 40, Mini SP-2, Mini Link, Mini 90, Mini 70, Mini 40, Mini Hello Kitty, Polaroid PIC 300 and other Instant Film Cameras!
- PREMIUM QUALITY: These Instax films are Hi-Speed ISO 800 so you can be sure they will capture your shots in the best light, giving you beautiful, natural looking colors with awesome grain quality.
- CLEAR PHOTOS IN AN INSTANT: Snap a picture and immediately get a high res photo printed in seconds with your Fujifilm camera – photos are high quality with optimal grain quality.
- MINI WALLET SIZED: Our white film sheets provide you with credit card sized photos (5.4 x 8.6 cm) for you to carry precious memories with you anywhere right in your bag or pocket!
- PHOTOS THAT WILL LAST A LIFETIME: Using thin-film technology, images develop quicker! Using emulsion, development accelerators and control tech, your photos will last forever.
- Hybrid instant film camera
- 10 Lens x 10 Film Effect Options = 100 Ways of Expression
- Built-in selfie mirror so you’re perfectly framed for a selfie, Dual shutter buttons – portrait and landscape
- Save printed images onto your Smartphone - Requires download of free INSTAX MINI EVO App - Control the INSTAX MINI EVO camera with your Smartphone for remote shooting - Print photos from your Smartphone via Bluetooth
- Save images to a microSD card (microSD card not included)
- Automatically detects the brightness of the surrounding and adjusts the amount of flash and shutter speed to optimize photo quality; Lens: F=60 millimeter, F=12.7
- Double exposure mode 2 images are produced on 1 film sheet by pressing the shutter twice, automatic film feeding out
- Bulb mode the shutter remains open while the shutter button is depressed (10 seconds maximum) and a light trail can be photographed
- Macro mode short distance photography as close as 30 - 60 centimeter; Film size: 86 millimeter x 54 millimeter; Picture size: 62 millimeter x 46 millimeter
- Kids mode suitable for photographing kids, pets and other fast moving subjects due to a fast shutter speed
- The Fujifilm Instax Mini 12 Camera Lilac Purple features a Fujinon 60mm Lens, Optical Image Viewfinder. Polaroid style- instant click and print camera producing credit card size prints. Quickly capture those fun moments and savor them forever.
- Selfie Mirror Integrated on Lens - Built-In Flash and Auto Exposure Mode and has a Matching camera strap.
- Includes 50 Instax Film designed for shooting photos with a press of a button and instantly printing it out with the Fujifilm Mini series, enjoy to watch the images develop practically before your eyes.
- Make the most of your Fujifilm instax mini 12 camera bundle and enjoy the fun MiniMate accessories we’ve provided in this kit: Fujifilm instax mini 12 camera, Instax mini film 50 exposures, Custom fitted MiniMate case & a 20 Pocket Flamingo print Photo Album.
- Note: Film Packaging varies, Includes Two twin packs each containing 20 sheets, in retail packaging and an additional 10 sheets pack that may be in bulk packaging - A total of 50 Sheets
- NOW CAMERA + FILM BUNDLE: The Polaroid Now Generation 2 point-and-shoot analog instant camera has all you need to catch every life moment in an original Polaroid photograph.
- FILM INCLUDED: The Now Everything Box includes the Now i-Type Instnat Camera (Black) plus a double pack of Color i-Type Film (16 photos) to get you shooting right out of the box.
- NEW & IMPROVED: Our new Now Generation 2 analog instant camera is now made with 40% recycled materials and the internal lithium-ion battery charges via USB-C
- DOUBLE EXPOSURE: The Now camera can frame two moments in one with double exposure, or get yourself in the picture with self-timer and an accurate flash to make everyone look like they should.
- POINT. SHOOT. KEEP FOREVER: Now camera is compatible with both i-Type film and 600 film.
- Prints square size images to capture more of the moment – 1.5x the size of a mini print.
- Rounded and textured grip for a comfortable hold (includes separate thumb grip attachment)
- Auto-exposure for bright images
- Selfie mirror and one-touch selfie mode
- 2 - CR2 Battery
Best Instant Film Cameras Buying Guide
Before choosing the best instant film camera you should consider following options:
1. Image Quality: This may be the most important aspect when it comes to choosing a film camera. It is important to understand that film cameras don’t offer the same image quality that digital cameras do.
With that being said, film cameras are the closest thing to capturing a digital image when it comes to quality. You have the option to shoot in either black and white or color.
The film type you choose will depend on your intended use. For instance, if you intend to take a lot of portraits then you should probably stick with black and white film.
On the other hand, if you plan on taking pictures of landscapes, then color film is the way to go.
2. Lens: All instant cameras come standard with a built-in wide-angle lens.
This lens is perfect for capturing group shots or even self-portraits. You also have the option to purchase an additional telephoto lens to get a more detailed shot.
3. Flash: Many of the camera models will come standard with a flash. If it doesn’t come standard, you can purchase an add-on flash to get the job done.
The built-in flash will give you the ability to take a picture in any lighting condition. The add-on flash will allow you to capture a picture in a darker setting.
4. Film Cost: Film is the one expense that you don’t want to overlook when it comes to instant film cameras.
You can purchase the film in either a pack or a single shot variety. The film will vary in price depending on the type of film and the intended use.
For instance, if you are shooting in black and white, then you can get a 400 shot roll of film for around $15. If you are shooting in color, you can get a single shot for around $2.
5. Camera Design: Instant film cameras come in all sorts of different designs. You can find a camera that resembles a vintage Polaroid or you can get a camera that looks like a DSLR.
The camera you choose will ultimately depend on your intended use. If you want a camera that can double as a digital camera, then you should probably stick with a camera that looks more like a digital one.
What else you should know about the best instant film cameras
1. What are the best instant film cameras?
The best instant film cameras include the Fujifilm Instax Mini 9, the Fujifilm Instax Mini 70, the Lomo’Instant Automat, and the Polaroid Originals OneStep 2.
2. What are the features of a good instant film camera?
Some features of a good instant film camera are that it should be lightweight and portable, it should have a timer, and it should have a flash.
3. How do instant film cameras work?
The instant film cameras work by using a chemical process to produce the image. The film is exposed to light and then the chemicals are used to develop the image.
4. What are the benefits of using an instant film camera?
There are several benefits of using an instant film camera:
1. They are fun and easy to use – perfect for snapshot photography.
2. They produce unique, one-of-a-kind images that cannot be replicated with digital or traditional film cameras.
3. They are portable and lightweight, making them ideal for traveling.
4. They are relatively inexpensive, making them a great option for those on a budget.
5. What are some of the best instant film cameras on the market?
Some of the best instant film cameras on the market are the Fujifilm Instax Mini 9, the Lomography Lomo’Instant Automat, and the Polaroid Originals OneStep 2.
On the market, there are numerous best instant film cameras. Hopefully, the list of the top ten best instant film cameras will save you time researching and deciding on the best one for you.