With the introduction of computers in the workplace, the need for a faster and more accurate way to read and process information became more apparent. Bar code scanners were developed to help automate the process of cataloging and tracking inventory, as well as to help speed up transactions at checkout. To help you select the best bar code scanner for your needs, we’ve rounded up the top products on the market.
Read on to learn more about our favorite bar code scanners.
Our Editor’s Best Bar Code Scanners Reviews
- ★NO SOFTWARE NEEDED: No need to download / install any software or apps with this sleek handheld 3-in-1 wireless, Bluetooth, and USB scanner with vibration capabilities to help in noisy environments. No Codecs required.
- ★NEXT GEN SMART CHARGING STAND: One base that can do it all. Wireless Transmission from stand to scanner. Holds scanner. Charges scanners built in rechargeable Li-Ion battery via lighting connectors
- ★SCAN MODES: Connect to Mac or Windows computers, Android or Apple mobile devices, and POS systems to start scanning barcodes with one of the 2 available modes - manual, and auto sense
- ★CODE COMPATIBILITY: Scan 1D barcodes -UPC, EAN, Code128, Code39, Code11, Codabar, Interleaved 2 of 5-Lottery ticket etc; Scan 2D barcodes including PDF417 - drivers license, Data Matrix, QR Code, Micro QR, Aztec code, Micro PDF etc NOT WORKING WITH SQUARE, SHOPIFY, SHOPKEEP
- ★TRANSMISSION RANGE: This linear barcode scanner has a transmission range of up to 493 feet in an obstacle free environment and around 98 ft in environments with medium density obstacles. Transmission speed can be adjusted in order to scan barcodes faster.
- Long Distance Wireless Transmission Technology.Delivers up to 400m transmission in open air/100m transmission indoor. No More Data Cable Needed, easily connected with your laptop, PC etc.
- Come with 2600mAh Large Battery, full charge allows 30 working days if scans 2000 barcodes a day, which can greatly extend working hours and improve your work efficiency.
- Two paring mode: One-to-one mode,More-to-one mode. At one-to-one mode,one scanner only transmit barcode to the one usb receiver. AT More-to-one mode,Multiple scanners can transmit barcode to the one usb receiver - ideal in a warehouse where several people are scanning at once.
- Two working mode:Instant upload mode / storage mode. Internal offline storage supports up to 100,000 barcodes in offline storage mode. Scan and store barcode when far away from the receiver,and then update the data to your device when you come back entering the wireless transmission range.
- Two scanning mode:Key the trigger to begin scanning or switch to automatic mode for quick scanning without pressing any buttons
- The imager Barcode Scanner is equiped with advanced CMOS sensor, which can easily capture 1D/ 2D（QR/ PDF417/ Data Matrix,etc） bar codes from paper and screen, such as computer monitor, smartphone or tablet, effectively compensate for the problem that laser scanner can not identify screen code.
- Physical power switch: save energy in case of error operation.
- The Pocket bar code scanner comes with 3-in-1 Connection Design：Compatible with Bluetooth Function; 2.4G Wireless connection receiver; Wired connection. Easily connected with your laptop, PC, mobile phone, tablet, iphone, ipad, POS. Work with Windows XP/7/8/10, Mac OS, Windows Mobile, Android OS, iOS
- Manual Scan & Auto-sensing Scan & Continuous Scan. 1200mAh battery ensures 20 hours of continuous handsfree scanning, no pressing the button for efficiency.
- Two upload mode :Instant upload mode / Storage mode. Internal offline storage supports up to 100,000 barcodes in offline storage mode. Scan and store barcode when far away from the receiver, and then batch upload the data to your device when you need it.
- Plug and play, This laser handheld barcode scanner has simple installation with any USB port and Ideal for businesses, shops and warehouse operations. Its function is unbeatable and easy to use, design is stylish
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux; works with Word, Excel, Novell, and all common software
- Scanning Speed: 200 scans per second. Scanning angle: Inclination angle 55°, Elevation angle 65°. Operational Light Source:Visible Laser 650-670nm.
- Decode Capability: Code11, Code39, Code93, Code32, Code128, Coda Bar, UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-8, EAN-13, JAN.EAN/UPC Add-on2/5 MSI/Plessey, Telepen and China Postal Code,Interleaved 2 of 5, Industrial 2 of 5, Matrix 2 of 5 ; 300 configurable options for prefix, suffix and termination strings
- Color: Black. Dimensions: 3.6 x 2.6 x 6.1 inches. Type of Cable: 2M or 6ft straight cable. Shock: 1.5m drop on concrete surface. Regulatory Approvals: FCC CE.
- Best Bar Code Scanner:
- The best bar code scanner at your help. Informative app which helps you to buy your stuff. The bar code gives information about a product. With the scanner you can scan the product. You can as-well input the bar code number manually. The app scans QR codes also. The app works and its not a prank application. Download the free Bar code scanner.
- English (Publication Language)
- 【Battery Level Indicator and 2000mAh Capacity】Larger battery enables longer continuous usage and twice the stand-by time of others. With the unique battery indicator light showing the remaining battery level, no more Low Battery Anxiety.
- 【Ergonomic Design】 The curved handle is extended and thickened, tailor-made for North America customers. Specially designed smooth and flat trigger for better grip.
- 【Anti-Shock Silicone】 The orange anti-shock silicone protective cover can avoid scratches and friction while falling from the height of 6.56 feet. IP54 technology protects the wireless barcode scanner from dust.
- 【2.4 GHz Wireless + USB 2.0 Wired Connection】 Plug and play with the USB receiver or the USB cable, no driver installation needed. Easy and quick to set up. Wireless transmission distance reaches up to 328 ft. in barrier free environment.
- 【Digital and Printed 1D 2D QR Bar Code Symbologies】1D: Codabar, Code 11, Code93, MSI, Code 128, UCC/EAN-128, Code 39, EAN-8, EAN-13, UPC-A, ISBN, Industrial 25, Interleaved 25, Standard25, Matrix 2D: QR, DataMatrix, PDF417, Aztec, Hanxin, Micro PDF417.
- 【Excellent Decording Ability】This bluetooth 2D QR barcode scanner could be omnidirectional reading of 1D, 2D, Postal bar codes, support full 2D barcodes like PDF417, MicroPDF417, Data Matrix, Maxicode, QR Code.This image bar code scanners not only reading barcodes from paper but also from phone ,laptop or PC screen .A great convenience for mobile payment at stores
- 【3 in 1 Bluetooth Wireless Connection】Compatible with Bluetooth Function; 2.4G Wireless connection receiver; Wired connection. Easily connected with your laptop, PC, mobile phone, tablet, iphone, ipad, POS. Work with Windows XP/7/8/10, Mac OS, Windows Mobile, Android OS, iOS
- 【Instant upload mode & Storage mode】: the wireless barcode scanner has 2 upload mode. Internal offline storage supports up to 130,00 barcodes in offline storage mode. Scan and store barcode when far away from the receiver of your device, and then update.
- 【Long Working Time & Fast Scanning Speed】: Built-in Battery, it can support 9 hours Continuous scanning and 2 months standby after 4hours full charge. The scanning speed can up to 1500 Times/Second.
- 【2 Years Warranty】NETUM focus on providing good products and service, 2 year warranty from the date of purchase. If there is any issue, please feel free to contact us.
- ✅【Plug and play, Easy to Use】 Anyeast barcode scanner no need to install any drivers and software, just connect the device via one USB cable, this bar code reader will be ready work for us. support work with laptop, desktop, and POS, compatible with Windows XP/7/8/10, Mac OS(If the port of Mac isType-C, then you need aTypeC convert to USB cable, because the port of our product is USB, not included in the package), Linux, Android system.
- ✅【Adjustable Stand】 The library scanner equipped an adjustable stand, we can freely to adjust the best scanning angel as need. what's more, with auto-sensing scanning sensor, we can easily realize handsfree scannning, no need to hold the linear barcode scanner, release our hands.
- ✅【Stronger Decoding Ability】 With advanced CMOS sensor, the handheld inventory scanner can easily decode most of 1D 2D QR barcodes on labels, paper and screen more accurate. Even damaged, blurring, incomplete, fuzzy and reflective barcodes can be decoded easily. 1D like: UPC/EAN, Code39, Interleaved 2 of 5, Code93, Code 128, Codabar etc. 2D like: QR, Datamatrix, PDF417, Aztec, etc.
- ✅【3 Types of Scanning Modes】 This USB wired barcode scanner with key trigger scanning , auto-sensing scanning and continuous scanning mode, we can according to our needs to choose different scanning ways. Widely used in supermarkets, bookstore, shopping malls, retails, logistics, warehouse and others for file management, inventory tracking and point of sale.
- ✅【More Customer Function】 Anyeast bar code scanner support custom settings, like adding prefix or suffix, hide characters from the front/back, add keyboard keys (TAB, CR, etc.) to the scanning operation, change the capital/lower case, etc. Also it can freely enable or disable barcode type, easily suit our specific need.
- 【Super Mini Pocket 1D Scanner】: Completely mini pocket size and 35g/1.23oz ultralightweight, making our this Eyoyo barcode scanner to be a better choice for portable use. especially for book store, online store, sales shop, warehouse, etc place.
- 【3-in-1 Connection Ways】: You can according to your needs to switch between 2.4G wireless & Bluetooth & USB wired three types of connection mode more convenient . also Eyoyo Bluetooth barcode scanner delivers up to 30m/98ft transmission distance in barrier free under the 2.4G wireless mode, up to 50m/164ft transmission distance barrier free under the Bluetooth mode.
- 【Advanced 1D Scan Technology】: Eyoyo 1D scanner easily capture 1D code including UPC/EAN, Code39, Interleaved 2 of 5, Code93, Code 128, Codabar, Industry25, Matrix25, etc barcode. Also with super decoding ability support scan damaged barcode, distortion barcode, colorful barcode and reflective barcode, etc special barcode.
- 【High Compatibility & 650mAh High Capacity Battery】: Eyoyo Bluetooth scanner can connect with laptop, PC, POS, smartphone, tablet, iPhone, iPad and computers to perfectly work with common operating systems such as windows xp/7/8/10, Mac OS, Linux, Windows Mobile. Also with 650mAh rechargeable battery can continuously work for 5 hours after 2 hours fully charged.
- 【Multiple Configuration Options】: Eyoyo wireless barcode scanner support instant upload and storage mode two types use modes, also support turn on or off the sound and vibration, hide/add custom prefix/suffix digits, delete character, add keyboard keys (TAB, CR&LF, etc.) to the scanning operation and so on. freely choose by your needs.
- Bluetooth Barcode Scanner for iPhone iPad Android Tablet PC, Support Mac OS X, Android, Windows 10 and ipad IOS 9
- With the scanner's CCD sensor Engine Support reading linear barcode directly from a Computer Screen and mobile phone
- Easy your work trigger the button then the barcode scanner will start to pair, Support HID and SPP mode
- 2000mAh battery squeeze up to 30 hours of continuous scanning for your inventories or working hours, easily recharge in only 2 hours via the included USB charging cable
- Connects with smartphones, tablets, or Bluetooth-enabled computers, works with computer, smartphone, tablet and mobile PDA(Note: It does not work with square POS)
Best Bar Code Scanners Buying Guide
Before choosing the best bar code scanners you should consider following options:
1. Decide on the type of barcode scanner: There are three types of barcode scanners available: handheld, desktop and tablet.
If you’re looking for a portable model to use in the office or on the move, you have a choice between handheld and wearable barcode scanners.
The main difference is that handheld barcode scanners have a single long handle, while wearable scanners are designed to clip onto your pocket or scan the barcode while it’s in your line of sight.
Desktop barcode scanners are self-explanatory, and are designed to sit on a desk.
2. Decide on the type of scanner technology: You also need to consider the different types of scanner technology available and which one best suits your requirements.
Laser scanners are the most accurate, but they may be exposed to high levels of dust and moisture.
They also have a shorter lifespan than their counterparts, and are more expensive.
Stick scanners are the least expensive, but they are not as accurate.
The third option is a 2D scanner, which is suitable for reading barcodes printed on labels or packaging.
3. Decide on the resolution and sampling rate: Resolution refers to the level of detail the scanner can capture.
The higher the resolution, the greater detail the image will have, so a barcode can be easily read.
If the resolution is too low, the image will be blurry and the barcode scanner may have difficulty reading the code.
The sampling rate refers to how quickly the scanner can capture an image. The faster the sampling rate, the faster the scanner can capture and read the code.
4. Decide on connectivity options: You also need to consider the connectivity options the scanner offers.
This will help you determine how it can be integrated into your existing workflow.
Some barcode scanners offer Wi-Fi connectivity, while others may have Bluetooth connectivity, offering the flexibility to be used in many different environments.
5. Decide on the total cost of ownership: The cost of a barcode scanner should not only include the price of the device itself but also the total cost of ownership.
This includes all the ongoing maintenance, service and support costs.
Some barcode scanners come with comprehensive warranties, while others only offer limited warranties.
Some companies offer warranties on the hardware and others on the software.
It’s also important to consider any included or optional services, such as annual or biannual maintenance contracts.
You should also consider the cost of consumables, such as batteries, sleeves and labels.
What else you should know about bar code scanners
1. What is a bar code scanner?
A bar code scanner is a device that can read and interpret bar codes.
2. How do bar code scanners work?
The bar code scanner is a device that can read and interpret barcodes. It consists of a light source, a lens and a light sensor that converts the barcode image into electrical signals. These signals are then decoded by the scanner and sent to a computer for further processing.
3. What are the benefits of using a bar code scanner?
Some benefits of using a bar code scanner include increased accuracy, efficiency, and productivity. Bar code scanners can help reduce errors, save time, and improve your bottom line.
4. What are the different types of bar code scanners?
The most common types of bar code scanners are handheld scanners, fixed-position scanners, and in-counter scanners.
5. How do I choose the right bar code scanner for my business?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best bar code scanner for your business will depend on a number of factors, including the type of business you have, the products you sell, and the volume of sales you make. However, there are a few things to keep in mind that will help you choose the right bar code scanner for your business. First, you will need to decide whether you need a handheld or desktop bar code scanner. If you have a small business with low volume sales, a handheld scanner may be sufficient. However, if you have a larger business with high volume sales, you will likely need a desktop scanner. Second, you will need to decide on the features you need. Some bar code scanners come with built-in memory, while others require an external memory card. You will also want to consider the scanning speed and accuracy of the scanner. Finally, you will need to decide on a budget. Bar code scanners can range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars.
On the market, there are numerous best bar code scanners. Hopefully, the list of the top ten best bar code scanners will save you time researching and deciding on the best one for you.