If you’re looking for the best car spray paint, it’s important that you consider the specific needs of your vehicle before you make a purchase. If the surface you’re painting is relatively smooth, like the hood of a sports car or a classic convertible, then you can get away with using a less expensive paint. However, if the surface is more textured, like the sides of a classic car or a truck bed, you’ll need to spend more to get a high-quality finish.
We researched car spray paint and considered factors like coverage, durability, and ease of use. Specifically, we looked at whether a paint stuck to more textured surfaces more easily, whether the can was comfortable to hold and to spray, and whether the paint was forgiving enough that even a novice could use it successfully.
Read on for the best car spray paint for your vehicle.
Our Editor’s Best Car Spray Paint Reviews
- 2 component aerosol clearcoat that is easy to apply, flows smooth and dries to a long lasting, high gloss finish
- Easy to use aerosol. Activate, shake and spray. Unique nozzle delivers spray gun results
- Dries to a high gloss finish. Excellent weather and chemical resistance
- For use over all basecoats
- Manufacture date on can
- General purpose paint for use on metal, most plastic and wood
- All-in-one paint and primer provides excellent coverage and adhesion
- Dries to touch in 20 minutes, covers up to 12 sq ft per can
- Durable coating with long lasting protection
- Creates a smooth, attractive finish with double the coverage
- SPRAY PAINT REMOVAL MADE EASY: Lift Off’s Paint Scuff and Graffiti Remover utilizes a patented, water-based formula to easily and safely remove spray paint, paint transfers, paint scuffs, aerosol paints, and more from hard surfaces.
- AUTO FRIENDLY: Safe for automotive paint and finishes. Use on vehicles, RVs, boats, street signs, metal, concrete, fiberglass, and more.
- EASY CLEANUP: Lift Off works its way between the paint and surface to break the molecular bond allowing paint to be removed easily.
- SAFER ALTERNATIVE TO HARSH CHEMICALS: Using Lift Off Paint Scuff Remover is safer than using harsh chemicals like Methylene Chloride and NMP.
- MADE IN THE USA: Not only are Lift Off products made in the USA, they are safer and simply work better.
- Ideal for renewing the look of metal trim, moldings, rearview mirror covers, bumpers and rub strips
- Contains Stops Rust formula to prevent and treat corrosion to extend life of surfaces
- Dries to the touch in 20 minutes and covers between 10-15 sq. ft. per can
- Creates a matte finish that resists weathering and wear
- Features a comfort-tip spray nozzle with any angle spray technology
- Stop Rust Completely - applies directly over rust, trapping the rust permanently and preventing it from spreading
- Epoxy Based Coating - high tech topcoat fortified with epoxies to ensure superior adhesion and durability
- UV Resistant - No topcoat necessary! AGS Rust Paint has UV resistant properties built right in and is compatible with most topcoats and can be painted over with any color you choose
- Ideal rust solution for home, auto, industrial, fleet, aviation, marine, RV, and agricultural applications. Apply anywhere you see rust to permanently stop rust and prevent rust from spreading any further
- Rust Solution is durable enough to withstand temperatures of 300 degrees and 1,000 hours of the Corrosion Resistance Salt Spray Test; ASTM# B117.
- Advanced Formula 3-in-1. Our fortify quick coat is your all-in-one ceramic coating hydrophobic spray. Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat ceramic car wax provides a waterless wash, coat, and shine, all-in-one convenient product.
- No Streaking, Smearing Or Scratching. Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat premium formula ceramic car coating is a gentle and effective car polish for any vehicle! Get a clean, shiny finish without hurting your car's paint.
- Cuts Dirt, Grime & Grease. Our Quick Coat ceramic wax car sealant eliminates dirt, grime & grease instantly! Our signature 3-in-1 formula gives you a waterless car wash, coat and shine for a clean, showcase look.
- Safe For All Surfaces. Use this car wax spray-on automobiles, boats, motorbikes, RVs, four-wheelers and more! This spray wax is the perfect blend of surfactants and SiO2 ceramic-coating science.
- Superior Products. This means superior shine for your cars! Our ceramic quick coat also works as a sealer to give your vehicle a clear shield of protection while also providing a beautiful gloss. Our ceramic coat is the best hydrophobic car spray available!
- Automotive Paints and Coatings
- Manufacturer: Rust-Oleum
- Made in United States
- Use to create custom chrome appearance on automotive rims, interiors or striping
- One step lacquer formula provides exceptional shine and luster
- Dries to the touch in 10 minutes, recoat anytime for quick touch ups
- Spray directly onto smooth surfaces without a base coat or primer
- Ultra high gloss accent paint offers a distinct, on-trend look of reflective chrome
- Ideal for use on ferrous, non-ferrous metal, wood, concrete, masonry and other such surfaces to prepare surfaces for painting, provide rust protection and a tough finish that withstands weathering
- High quality, durable oil-based formula maintains consistent, corrosion-resistant color despite the elements and provides twice the protection of paint alone
- Covers up to 14 sq ft, dries to touch in 15 minutes and ready for immediate topcoat application ; Indoor/outdoor
- Commercial, industrial paint formula features a high output tip that can be sprayed at any angle
- Primer provides a base for excellent adhesion and withstands demanding, heavy-use environments
- Maximum resistance to abrasion and scratching
- Suggested Use: For use over all basecoats.
- Mix: Ready to spray: Activate, shake and spray.
- Color: Clear liquid
- Manufacturer date on the can, expiration date 3 years from the date on the can.
Best Car Spray Paint Buying Guide
Before choosing the best car spray paint you should consider following options:
1. Brand: The first thing you should consider when buying a spray paint is the brand. Since there are so many brands out there that sell high-quality paints, it can be hard to pick one.
There are some that are cheaper than others, but that doesn’t mean that they are not good. You should always read reviews and feedback from other people who have used the spray paint so that you can have a clearer idea of which one to go for.
2. Coverage: This is something that is not always mentioned in the sales pitch for the paints. It is important to know how much area one can cover with the can so that you can buy the right amount of paint.
The larger the can, the more it will cost, but you will be able to save money in the long run if you buy more paint.
3. Spray Tip: There are basically two types of spray tips – single and dual. A single tip will give you a wider and heavier coverage, while a dual tip will give you a fine and light spray.
If you are doing a project requiring a heavy coverage, then you should definitely go for a single tip. If you are painting your car, then a dual tip would be ideal.
What else you should know about car spray paint
1. What kind of paint do I need?
The kind of paint you need depends on the surface you are painting and the desired finish.
2. How do I prep the car for painting?
There are a few things you need to do in order to prep your car for painting. First, you need to sand down the car’s surface in order to create a smooth surface for the paint to adhere to. Next, you need to clean the car’s surface with a degreaser or soap and water in order to remove any dirt or grime that could interfere with the paint’s adhesion. Finally, you need to apply a primer to the car’s surface in order to create a barrier between the paint and the car’s surface.
3. How do I apply the paint?
To apply the paint, you will need to use a brush or a roller.
4. What are some tips for painting a car?
Some tips for painting a car include:
-Wash and clean the car thoroughly before painting to ensure the best results.
-Use a primer before painting to help the paint adhere better and last longer.
-Choose a paint color that you love and that will complement the car’s body style.
-Be patient and take your time when painting to avoid any mistakes.
5. How do I clean up after painting a car?
After you have finished painting your car, you will need to clean up your work area. You will need to remove any paint that is on your hands and clothing. You will also need to clean your brushes and other painting tools.
On the market, there are numerous best car spray paint. Hopefully, the list of the top ten best car spray paint will save you time researching and deciding on the best one for you.