If your office space is more of a DIY project than a well-thought-out design, you know how hard it can be to find storage pieces that are both functional and stylish. Flat files are a great example of this — they’re a workhorse piece that’s used for a wide variety of purposes, from storing and organizing documents to stashing paper supplies to acting as a makeshift desk. And, if your work requires you to have a lot of physical paperwork, you’re definitely going to need some kind of filing system.
Read on for our list of best flat files.
Our Editor’s Best Office Flat Files Reviews
- Stock up on boxes of 100 manila file jackets without expansion; full-height sides keep 8-1/2 x 11 sheets and smaller papers contained and the large straight cut tab is easy to label
- A practical, portable solution, enclosed file folders keep papers secure when working from home and then taking important paperwork into the office
- These letter size, manila folders provide easy open top access to up to 50 sheets of paper with a handy cutout notch on the front panel
- Parents can send paperwork with their kids to school and teachers can send home student classwork in these simple but effective jacket folders
- Store file jackets in a file drawer and ensure that papers stay in place and don't slip out and get lost at the bottom of the file cabinet
- Includes 100 letter size (11-3/4" W x 9-1/2" H) manila file jackets (flat-no expansion) with full height sides for document security and reinforced straight-cut tabs for extra durability
- Each top tab file jacket holds up to 50 pages and is enclosed on three sides to keep your files and papers secure, and prevent them from shifting or becoming disorganized
- Durable, reinforced tabs maintain their shape for frequently used files, making these file jackets great for taking documents out of the office for presentations, meetings or to work on at home
- The straight-cut tab gives ample space to describe the contents and flexibility in labeling; For additional storage, apply one of our Self-Adhesive Poly Pockets (68185) to the outside, sold separately
- Proudly made in the USA, these 11 pt. file jacket folders contain 10% recycled content, 10% post-consumer material and are SFI Sourcing Certified; Also available in legal size, flat or expanding
- 5 DRAWER FILE CABINET- Flat File steel cabinet with powder coat finish for up to 26" x 37" documents
- METAL CABINET FEATURES- Drawers feature heavy-duty nylon rollers and courtesy stop, rear hood and hinged front document depressor
- OFFICE STORAGE- Stack up to 5 units
- FILE CABINETS COMPATIBILITY- Safco Products Closed Low Base Model 4995BLR, optional Lock Kit includes lock and two keys Model 4981, sold separately
- DIMENSIONS- Label holder on drawer front dimensions 3 1/4"W x 1 ⅞"H (OD)
- 100-pack of letter-size manila file jackets
- Flat style (no expansion); holds up to 25 sheets
- Closed on 3 sides for document security
- Full-height sides help prevent materials from slipping out
- Reinforced straight-cut tab for long-lasting strength
- [Multiple Use] Ideal for hanging on office Cubicle walls and home use, such as walls,doors,office partition,desks,etc. NOTE:If need to hang on doors,please make sure your door frame gap is above 0.3 inch.
- [Wall Door Mounted File Holder] -Unnecessary drilling,easy to mounting with the adjustable hooks,can also directly place on wall with screws if needed.
- [5 +1 Wall File Organizer] - Top 5 tilted trays for easy accessing documents, the very bottom flat tray is great for stationary, desk accessories.
- [Clean Up Your Workspace] - By keeping all your files neatly organized right at your fingertips, on a wall near by. 5 small label panels is good for labeling contents of each slot.
- [Dimensions] - 12.7 x 4.0 x 16.1 inch.
- Includes 25 letter size (11-3/4” W x 10” H) filing guides to serve as alphabetic signposts, each with a flat metal 1/5-cut tab (A-Z) in assorted positions
- Heavy duty 25 point pressboard stock for extra durability keeps your files in alphabetical order, reducing time spent hunting through drawers for the right file
- Flat metal tabs have lettered and numbered inserts to help keep everything in sequential order for heavy and frequent use
- Sturdy pressboard guides are perfect for active or archive files, slipped between sections for faster finding and filing
- Proudly made in the USA; Contains 100% recycled content, 30% post-consumer material and is SFI Sourcing Certified
- Note : To ensure proper assembly, please follow all steps provided in the installation manual (provided in pdf below)
- Business card file offers a large capacity to store all your contacts where they can't be lost or erased
- Keep all the information you need right at your fingertips from customer contact information to your local emergency services and your child's School
- Plastic card file includes dividers labeled a to Z for easy organization and access
- Package Content: 8pcs x Tag Label Holder, 16pcs x Screws
- Material: Iron; Main Color: Flat Black
- Dimension: 80 x 51 x 3mm/ 3.1" x 2" x 0.12"(L*W*H); Inner Frame Size: 52 x 31mm/ 2" x 1.2"(L*W)
- Mount Hole Diameter: 3mm/ 0.12"; Mount Hole Distance: 73mm/ 2.9"
- Decorative tag label holder, widely used on file drawers, shelves, bookcases, etc.
Best Office Flat Files Buying Guide
Before choosing the best office flat files you should consider following options:
1. Size: The first thing you need to figure out is the size that you need. This will depend on the number of documents you want to store and how often you need to access them.
An office file cabinet with too many drawers is not efficient. Too few drawers will mean that you waste space. The standard configuration for a cabinet is two to three drawers.
Pick a size that allows you to efficiently organize your documents and makes it easy for you to reach and retrieve them.
2. Number of drawers: The number of drawers in an office file cabinet is an important consideration.
You should keep in mind that an over-complicated or too many number of drawers can lead to a chaotic filing system. You don’t want to have to open multiple drawers to find the documents you are looking for.
A good number of drawers is between 2 and 4. The number of drawers will depend on the number of employees who need to access the cabinet and the type of documents you file.
3. Ease of use: A cabinet that is easy to use is one that has drawers that slide smoothly and evenly.
It is also important that the cabinet has drawers that are easy to open and close. Drawers that stick or break easily are a clear indication that the cabinet is of poor quality.
4. Security: A good quality office file cabinet should have a locking mechanism. Strong and sturdy locks are an indication of a secure cabinet.
A cabinet with a lock ensures that the documents inside remain private. Make sure the lock works smoothly and is easy to use.
5. Materials: The materials of the cabinet are also an important consideration. The best cabinets are made of high quality steel or wood.
When picking a cabinet, make sure it is made of durable and sturdy materials. You also want to make sure that the materials are aesthetically pleasing.
A cabinet made out of wood will blend in with the overall décor of the office. On the other hand, steel cabinets tend to look more modern and compact.
6. Warranty: The warranty period is an indication of the quality of an office file cabinet. The longer the warranty period, the better the quality of the cabinet.
A good cabinet should have a warranty period of at least 5 years. This will ensure that the cabinet lasts for a long time.
7. Price: Last but not least, the price of the cabinet is an important consideration. It is crucial to establish whether the price is reasonable for the quality of the cabinet.
An office file cabinet that falls within your budget is a good option. It is important to not compromise on the quality of the cabinet for a lower price.
What else you should know about office flat files
1. What is an office flat file?
An office flat file is a type of filing cabinet that is designed to hold documents that are flat, such as drawings or maps.
2. What are the benefits of using an office flat file?
An office flat file can help to keep a work area organized and tidy. It can also help to protect important documents and papers from being damaged or lost.
3. How do you store and organize files in an office flat file?
In an office flat file, files are typically stored in alphabetical order.
4. How do you access files in an office flat file?
Files in an office flat file are typically accessed by opening the drawer that corresponds to the file’s alpha-numeric code.
5. What are some tips for using an office flat file effectively?
Some tips for using an office flat file effectively are to keep it in a central location, to use it to store documents that are infrequently accessed, and to label the files clearly.
On the market, there are numerous best office flat files. Hopefully, the list of the top ten best office flat files will save you time researching and deciding on the best one for you.