An audio component receiver is the heart of any home theater setup and should be the first item on your shopping list when setting up a surround sound system.
We researched dozens of models from the biggest and best brands, evaluating them on ease of use, sound quality, and value. Our top pick is the Sony STRDH190 2-ch Home Stereo
Here, are the best audio component receivers available today.
Best Audio Component Receivers: Editor Recommended
Our Editor’s Best Audio Component Receivers Reviews
- UNMATCHED 3D REALISM FOR YOUR HOME THEATER SYSTEM – Enjoy Immersive surround sound with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization & DTS Virtual:X and crisp, clean picture with advanced video processing, 8K/60Hz, and 4K/120Hz pass-through
- GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR 4K TV - Enjoy the highest quality 3D audio and video knowing that the AVR-S960H is 8K READY WHEN YOU ARE. This high-power amplifier meets the most demanding entertainment needs with the latest technology available
- NEXT GEN GAMING - Enjoy a smooth, lag-free gaming experience with spectacular imaging, reduced lag & frame tearing with 4K/120Hz pass-through, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Quick Frame Transport (QFT), and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM)
- ENJOY THE MOST ADVANCED VIDEO TECHNOLOGY AVAILABLE with Dynamic HDR and HDR10 plus . This 7.2 channel receiver delivers clarity, contrast & color, & Quick Media Switching eliminates video delay
- CONNECT WITH ANY HD/ULTRA HD TV, SUBWOOFER, BLU-RAY PLAYER & TURNTABLE FOR INCREDIBLE STEREO SOUND - USB, 8 HDMI ports (6 In/ 2 Out) with HDCP 2.3 processing, Digital In, Phono input & Network support with a range of wireless connections
- Amplify and enjoy your home audio experience in the comfort of your home
- 100 watts x 2 (8 ohms, 1 Kilo Hertz). Speaker impedance - 6–16 ohms
- Phono input, 4 stereo RCA audio inputs, 3.5 millimeter input, stereo RCA output
- Built in Bluetooth lets you wirelessly stream your favorite music service, podcasts, and more from other Bluetooth devices.
- Connect up to 4 speakers; A/B switching to play all at once, or in separate zones
- Dirac Live Room Correction
- HDMI 2.1 with 8K
- ULTIMATE 4K GAMING EXPERIENCE
- IMAX Enhanced MODE
- Cinematic Sound at Home: Enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows and more with theater like sound in the comfort of your home.NOTE: Scroll down the catalog to find installation Manual and User Guide for trouble shooting steps.
- Virtual Front Surround: S Force PRO delivers virtual surround sound with only a 2 speaker setup
- Smart Connectivity: Stream music and use Bluetooth Standby turn on the receiver from your phone
- Multi Function System: Enjoy a Multi Channel Stereo Setup, FM Radio Tuner and 1/4 Inches Headphone Jack
- Dynamic Setup: 4 Stereo Rca Audio Inputs and 2 Digital Audio Outputs (1 Optical and 1 Coaxial)
- HDMI with HDCP 2.3 and eARC (7 in or 3 out)
- 4K60, 4K120AB (40gbps), 8K60AB (40gbps), HDR10plus and HDMI 2.1
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, AirPlay 2 and Spotify Connect
- Surround:AI and AURO-3D
- Dolby Atmos with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS:X with CINEMA DSP HD3
- WATCH YOUR MOVIES IN 8K - At 70W x 5, the Denon AVR-S570BT features (4) HDMI 2.1 8K inputs and (1) HDMI output. Supports eARC with up to 40 Gbps speed. A successor to the AVR-S540BT, the receiver ensures HD audio playback and an enhanced gaming experience
- TRUE-TO-LIFE CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE - The AVR-S570BT supports the latest formats like HDR, HLG, Dolby Vision, HDR10+, and Dynamic HDR for realistic display, VRR and QFT for lag-free exceptional gaming, and DTS HD Master, and Dolby TrueHD for immersive audio
- YOUR FAVORITE MUSIC AT YOUR FINGERTIPS - With built-in Bluetooth, play music from various audio sources and create an integrated multi-room audio system. Allows wireless music streaming from popular streaming apps like Spotify, TIDAL, Pandora, and more
- OUR EASY ON-SCREEN HD SETUP ASSISTANT walks you through clear, simple, and intuitive instructions to connect your TV, while the specific EQ settings help you optimize the surround sound so that you can make the most of your movies, music, TV, or gaming
- CONVENIENT CONTROLS - Connect the AVR with your Smart TV Remote and access all your speaker sources and surround mode selections using just one remote, or download the Denon Remote App for iOS and Android and seamlessly control the AVR through your phone
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE DISCRETE 2-CHANNEL AMP – Feel the power & hear every audio detail with this ultra-stylish & powerful receiver (100W per channel at 8 ohms) that offers greater stability with a wide range of speakers & delivers balanced sound each time.
- EXPERT SOUND ENGINEERING – Denon’s experience in designing award-winning amplifiers and their use of Hi-Fi parts, custom resistors, audio grade capacitors, a double differential DAC circuit and analog preamp circuits deliver a superior sound experience
- ADVANCED HDMI VIDEO SECTION FOR A STUNNING CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE – Features full 4K Ultra HD 60Hz video, 4:4:4 Pure Color sub sampling, HDR10, HLG, and BT.2020 pass-through. Watch your favorite movies & shows with exceptional color, clarity and contrast.
- ENJOY MULTI-ROOM STREAMING – Built-in HEOS technology allows you to playback music through any popular streaming service such as Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Prime Music and others via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi or AirPlay 2 in one room and more simultaneously
- VOICE CONTROL COMPATIBILITY WITH ALL MAJOR VOICE AGENTS – Change audio tracks, control volume, switch inputs, and play & pause music with your voice. Just command Alexa, Siri, and other leading voice agents or any smart home automation systems
- 5.1 channel powerful surround sound
- Bluetooth for wireless connectivity. Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 100W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD); Rated Output Power (20Hz 20kHz, 2ch driven) 70W (8 ohms, 0.09% THD); Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (Jeita) 145W (6 ohms, 10% THD)
- HDMI 2.1 with HDCP 2.2 (4 in/1 out)
- 4K Ultra HD support, HDR10, Dolby vision, hybrid log gamma and BT.2020
- YPAO auto calibration technology for ideal sound, Exclusive Yamaha Cinema DSP technology supports playback of HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio, etc.), providing natural and expansive sound imaging
- MULTI-ROOM AUDIO. The TX-8220 features two sets of speaker posts. The receiver drives either a single pair of speakers (4–16 Ohms) or two pairs of speakers (8–16 Ohms) to enjoy the same audio source in two rooms, or switch between two sets of speakers.
- BLUETOOTH COMPATIBLE. Seamlessly connect your phone, tablet or PC and stream to the receiver with Bluetooth Wireless Technology. This smart receiver remembers your device and starts playback whenever it detects an incoming Bluetooth audio stream.
- MULTIPLE CONNECTIONS. For music and film lovers that want to add great sound to any source, this receiver comes extensively equipped with a quality MM phono stage for your turntable, digital inputs to route audio from TV and four analog line inputs.
- HI-CURRENT AMP SYSTEM. Onkyo’s high-current low-impedance Wide Range Amplification Technology (WRAT) design uses a massive EI transformer to drive your speakers accurately, even under heavy loads, so sound quality doesn't suffer.
- FEATURES. 45 W/Ch stereo power (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels Driven, FTC); 100 W/Ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 2 channels Driven) , AM - 530 kHz–1,710 kilo Hertz
- ONE-STOP SOLUTION FOR TODAY'S DIGITAL MUSIC NEEDS – An all-in-one audio receiver (60W x 2 or 30W x 4 channels), disc player for WMA/MP3 (CD-R/RW), AM/FM Tuner, & network streamer. Enjoy Hi-Fi LISTENING WITH EXCEPTIONAL AUDIO DETAILING
- ALL NEW VOICE-SUPPORT FUNCTIONALITY – Just say the commands out loud to any major voice agent including AMAZON ALEXA, GOOGLE ASSISTANT OR APPLE SIRI and play music, change tracks, turn the volume up or switch inputs hands-free
- BLUETOOTH, Wi-Fi & AIRPLAY 2 ENABLED STREAMING – Listen to your favorite tracks on Pandora, Spotify or SiriusXM, watch videos on YouTube or Netflix, or simply tune in to any Internal Radio Station from around the world to enjoy unlimited hours of playback
- MULTI-ROOM CONNECTIVITY WITH HEOS – The Digital Audio Amplifier technology allows you to configure a pair of speakers in one room or two sets of speakers in two separate rooms with independent volume control
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY – This Network CD Player includes 2 Optical Digital Inputs to connect your set-top box, Blu-Ray, DVD Player & more so you can enjoy full dynamic range digital audio playback through various sources
Best Audio Component Receivers Buying Guide
Before choosing the best audio component receivers you should consider the following options:
1. Sound Quality: Audio receivers are quite basic in terms of design, but they come with different sound quality features. The best audio receivers are the ones that prioritize sound quality over everything else.
A good sound quality system will have a built-in amplifier that can support different speakers and sound bars. The amplifier will also be able to drive the bass, thereby ensuring that the sound produced is of high fidelity.
You can also look out for audio receivers that come with special features such as Dolby Atmos or DTS: X. These special features allow the receiver to produce surround sound effects that make the listening experience more immersive.
2. Connectivity: You will definitely want a receiver that offers you wide connectivity options. While you should always prioritize a system that offers HDMI inputs and outputs, you can also look out for other features as well.
If you want a sound system that you can use to play music from your mobile devices, then make sure that the receiver comes with Bluetooth connectivity.
If you have a home theater setup, then you will also want to make sure that the receiver offers you an HDMI input for your TV. This way, you will be able to use your receiver as the central hub of your entertainment system.
3. Sound Distribution: A good audio receiver will not only offer you good sound quality but will also make sure that the sound is distributed in an even manner.
If you are planning to use a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound setup, then you will definitely want an audio receiver that offers you good sound distribution.
A good audio receiver should have an equal signal output to all the channels. If the sound output is not equal, then you will not get the surround sound experience that you are looking for.
4. Cost: Last but not the least; you should definitely factor in the overall cost of the audio receiver that you are planning to buy.
Audio receivers are quite affordable, but there are some models that tend to be expensive. In some cases, you might have to pay a little more for an audio receiver that offers you the best sound quality.
What else you should know about the best audio component receivers
1. What are the best audio component receivers?
Some of the best audio component receivers on the market include the Denon AVR-X4100W, Pioneer SC-LX501, and Yamaha RX-A1050.
2. What are the features of a good audio component receiver?
Some features of a good audio component receiver are:
- Digital and analog inputs
- High power output
- EQ controls
- Ability to play multiple formats
- Streaming capability
- Wireless connectivity
3. How do I choose the right audio component receiver for my needs?
The first thing you need to do is decide what features you need. Do you need a receiver that can play CDs? Do you need a receiver that can play DVDs? Do you need a receiver that can play Blu-rays? Once you know what features you need, you can start looking at different models and comparing their features. You should also look at reviews to see what other people think about the receivers you’re considering.
4. What are the different types of audio component receivers?
There are several types of audio component receivers, including:
1. Surround sound receivers: These audio component receivers are designed to provide a surround sound experience, and typically include features like Dolby Digital and DTS decoding.
2. Stereo receivers: Stereo receivers are designed to provide two-channel audio, and may include features like a phono input for turntables.
3. Network receivers: Network receivers are designed to connect to a home network, and may include features like built-in Wi-Fi and support for streaming services.
4. AV receivers: AV receivers are designed to be the central hub for a home theater system, and typically include features like multiple HDMI inputs and outputs.
5. How do I set up an audio component receiver?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the process for setting up an audio component receiver will vary depending on the make and model of the receiver. However, in general, the process for setting up an audio component receiver will involve connecting the receiver to the TV, connecting the speakers to the receiver, and then following the on-screen prompts to complete the setup process.
On the market, there are numerous best audio component receivers. Hopefully, the list of the top ten best audio component receivers will save you time researching and deciding on the best one for you.